A memory card is an electronic device whose general purpose is to store digital information inside it. It is a common norm nowadays to use memory cards in any kind portable electronic gadgets. Memory cards are commonly used in tablets, mobile phones, laptops, computers, MP3 players, PDAs, video game consoles, synthesisers, electronic keyboards and digital cameras.
We often come across two names while discussing memory cards, MicroSD and TF memory cards. While both are storage cards, there has always been some confusion regarding them. Frequently asked questions about these memory cards are, what is TF card, are MicroSD and TF card identical or different.
Here, we will be discussing these memory cards and what is the actual difference between MicroSD and TF memory card.
About MicroSD Card
MicroSD is often referred as uSD or µSD and the abbreviation of SD is Secure Digital. It is a type of removable flash memory card which is used for storing information.
Also See: Music Download Sites Like Mp3boo
Initially, it was renowned as T-Flash but later it was renamed as MicroSD. They were designed specifically for mobile phones but recently they are also used in handheld GPS devices.
About TF Card
The full form of TF memory card is TransFlash. It is referred as the combination of 2GB MicroSD card and SD card adapter which can be placed directly into the memory card slot of the computer.
Abbreviations for TF cards are T-Flash or TF. It was first introduced in 2004 by SanDisk Corporation and marketed as the world’s smallest memory card.
Differences between MicroSD and TF Card
- Manufacturers – Initially, TF memory card was developed by two firms, SanDisk and Motorola in 2004, whereas MicroSD card was introduced by Toshiba, Panasonic and SanDisk.
- Compatibility – SDIO mode is supported by MicroSD card which means that they can perform non-memory operations such as Bluetooth, GPS and Near Field Communication (NFC). TransFlash cannot perform non-memory jobs.
- Security Switch – There is a small switch in SD card which acts like a security segment. It is a write protection switch. It can lock the memory card and convert it into the non-writable With this feature, the owner’s data is secured. You cannot add or edit new information when the protection switch is on. On another hand, TF card does not have any locking protection system.
- Volume / Size – The size of the TF memory card is 15 mm X 11 mm X 1 mm whereas the volume of MicroSD card is 24 mm X 32 mm X 2.1 mm.
- Capacity – TF cards come in the following capacity – 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB, 128 GB and 256 GB. MicroSD cards capacities are 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, 32 GB and 64 GB.
Although there are some similarities between MicroSD and TF cards, i.e. the old name of MicroSD card was TransFlash Card. We hope that with this article we were able to shed some light on their stark differences also.